Every year when the temperature drops, I start thinking soups and stews. They are such a great way to get a complete meal in one pot! For this one, you can let it cook low and slow in a slow cooker, or you can cook in on the stovetop. This stew is easy (about 20 minutes of prep time–depending on how fast you chop)! Prep veggies ahead of time to save time.
This stew is high protein, gluten free, and can be made easily for a large crowd
Makes 4 LARGE Servings
2 Medium Potatoes (about 8 oz total), chopped into bite sized pieces
2 cups Good Quality Chicken Broth
1 lb. Ground Beef (85 or 90% lean)
1 cup Corn
1 cup Green Chile, roasted and chopped
½ Onion, finely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder
Tomato, Cilantro, Sour Cream for garnish
1. Brown ground beef in stockpot. I like to use the same pot I am going to cook the stew in to save time doing dishes! Drain fat and discard the fat.
2. Transfer ground beef to a small bowl. Add onion to the pot and cook until slightly translucent in color. Add minced garlic, cook for 1 minute longer.
3. Add beef back to pot along with potatoes, chicken broth, corn, green chile, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Simmer on low heat for about 1 hour, or until potatoes are soft.
5. Add chopped tomato, cilantro, sour cream, if desired for garnish.
Tips: Grass Fed Beef is a little better for you because it has less saturated fat and more unsaturated fats. We prefer it. You can also substitute ground turkey and reduce the fat content.
Using a good quality chicken broth is key in this recipe. You can even make your own:
Fresh or frozen green chile really give this stew good flavor, but it you can’t find it, canned works OK.
You can try using various vegetables in the stew also. Try adding bell peppers, tomatoes, or zucchini for a slightly different taste.
Nutrition Info per Serving: 359 Calories, 17 g Total Fat, 26 g Total Carbohydrate, 3 g Fiber, 25 g Protein
2 thoughts on “Classic Green Chile Stew”
Hey Jen! How are you??? I wanted to let you know that I made your strew the other night and it was eaten up by everyone in minutes. Thanks for the recipe! Miss you and your family Laura
Sent from my iPhone
That’s awesome! I miss you too! We should catch up soon:)