Shown above: Overnight oats with greek yogurt, milk, bananas, and sliced almonds.
I know you have at least heard about Overnight Oats. These recipes seem to be everywhere right now, so what is the big deal? Are they really that exciting? Yes, in some ways they are. Many people don’t eat breakfast for a variety of reasons, but a major one being that they don’t have time. Overnight oats are a great solution for the busyness of the morning routine.
Health Benefits of Oats
Oatmeal has loads of soluble fiber which has been shown to reduce the “stickiness” of the blood, therefore lowering risk of heart disease and helping to prevent colon cancer. Oatmeal’s fiber also serves as a prebiotic (precursor to probiotics) in the small intestine. New research has shown there to be much benefit in those “good” bacteria in your intestines. Eating oats for breakfast is a great way to increase the amounts of “good” bacteria in your body.
Here are some great ideas to get you started with overnight oats:
STEP 1: Start with 1/3 cup of Old Fashioned or Steel Cut Oats (100 Cals, 1.7 g Total Fat, 18 g Total Carbohydrates, 3 g Dietary Fiber, 3.5 g Protein)
STEP 2: Add liquid and spices the night before, cover and put in your refrigerator.
|Liquid Choices||Spices||Toppings, Fruits||Toppings, Nuts or Seeds|
|2/3 cup Milk||¼ tsp Pumpkin pie spice||½ Banana||1 Tbsp Sliced Almonds|
|2/3 cup Greek Yogurt||¼ tsp Cinnamon||½ cup Blueberries||1 Tbsp Chia or Hemp Seeds|
|2/3 cup Kiefer||¼ tsp Allspice||½ cup Strawberries||1 Tbsp Pecan Pieces|
|2/3 cup Water||¼ tsp Cardamom||½ cup Chopped Mango||1 Tbsp Walnut Pieces|
|2/3 cup Soy or Almond Milk||¼ tsp Anise||½ cup||1 Tbsp Peanut Butter or other nut butter|
|0-100 Calories||No Calories||40-60 Calories||30-80 Calories|
STEP 3: Add fruit, nut, or seed toppings in the morning.
- If you use Greek Yogurt you will have more Calories, but also more Protein (about 12-16 grams of protein for 2/3 cup).
- You can mix up the spices and use 2 different ones.
- You can do the same with the fruit and use a mix of blueberries and strawberries.
- Use peanut butter or almond butter for a different flavor, but be careful, these will add more calories.
- Use water to significantly decrease the calories, but with this choice you will miss out on protein and calcium, two nutrients you will get from the other choices.
Share in the comments which is your favorite overnight oats combination!