Cooking and Prep time, about 40 minutes
Makes 6 (pretty large) servings
3 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
½ onion finely diced
1 cup chopped green beans
1 yellow squash, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup corn kernels
2 cups chicken breast, cooked and diced
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup basmati or jasmine rice, uncooked
1. Cook rice according to directions on package in a large saucepan, add carrots and green beans to the rice when 15 minutes remain.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion, garlic and yellow squash in 1 Tbsp canola oil in a large skillet (12” or larger).
3. Add sugar, salt, and 1 Tbsp soy sauce to sauted onion mixture.
4. Add the rice to the onion mixture in the skillet and add 1 Tbsp canola oil to the skillet. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add beaten eggs and 1 more Tbsp oil, stir and cook until eggs are done (about 5 minutes).
6. Add chicken and 2 Tbsp soy sauce, stir and heat though (3-4 minutes).
Nutrition Information per Serving: Total Calories: 314, Total Fat: 11.5 g, Total Carbs: 34 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 21 g
Tips and my two cents:
You can use other veggies as substitutes without changing the Nutrition Information too much. Other options may include, bell peppers, zucchini squash, bok choy, or kale.
My husband is allergic to peas so I use corn, but peas are a good substitute for corn and the more traditional way to do fried rice.
I have used a rotisserie chicken for the chicken in this recipe, and you can do that too, just add about 20 calories per serving (2 grams of fat).
You could probably do without the sugar in the recipe, since it is so minimal. But the sugar does give the rice a little different flavor, which I LOVE!
I like to use basmati or jasmine rice because both are medium grain rice which have more fiber content than a typical white rice. I also like them because they are so much more flavorful than white and brown rice.
This recipe has it all! It’s easy, a good source of protein, and all of your veggies are in your meal. I will often add a salad when I make this, but you wouldn’t have to.